Another drum roll, please. A mere two weeks ago I shared a few new needlework projects. I've already finished one of them, and now I have a progress report on another. A real progress report--not just a few rows of stitches, but the design is coming to life as you can see.
Prairie Schooler's "Where There are Bees" is the chart I am working from and I already have one medallion stitched and two more nearly finished. This design, happily, is stitching up very quickly. And the best part is I am really enjoying working on it. It is providing just the right sort of distraction I need at the moment.
The design calls for only four colors, but it doesn't really seem like such a limited color palette, does it? The colors are nice and quite pleasing I think. You can't see them from this angle, but I like the honeycomb pattern on the upper right hand of the design.
I didn't share this last time but I was contemplating stitching it. It is a much smaller design--you can see the chart just peeking out from under my linen--I am working on the upper right hand corner alphabet. I plan on stitching something (perhaps a flower bouquet that is also on the chart) for the back and finishing it into a pincushion like these. And no worries, I haven't forgotten about the seasonal samplers I mentioned last time.
And this is so typical of me. Just like with books and reading. I might be enjoying whatever is in hand immensely, but I am always thinking just a little bit about which book will come next. You guessed it--I am the same when it comes to stitching. I was going through my stash, and came across this design called "L'Autome" by Birds of a Feather (sadly the company is now defunct). So I ordered the floss and linen and it is sitting at the ready. There are actually four charts--one for each season, but the autumn design appeals to me most at the moment.
I'm not really sure what I've gotten myself into, though. Look at this! Just look at the size of the linen! It is cut larger than the design (an extra three inches on each side), but it ended up being cheaper to get a fat half (half a yard) cut--36" x 27". The design will measure something like 18" x 24" when it is finished. I didn't realize it was such a big design. I think it wil be the largest needlework project I will have worked on--finished, I hope.
It's meant to be my next big project after I finish my Bees, but I couldn't resist putting in the first stitches. So few--they are lost in all that linen, though hopefully that will quickly change when I begin stitching in earnest.
I have a few more new projects 'up my sleeves' by the way, but more about those later. I still spend more time reading, but it's nice to add a few motifs each day to my needlework projects, too.
I am planning on filling the wekend (will be so much more quiet than last weekend) with lots and lots of reading and stitching. Hope your weekend is a good one, too, with whatever you fill it with!