With the help of everyone's suggestions (as always--thank you!), this list and this post from Magnificent Octopus I have managed to complile my reading list! It wasn't too hard since there were so many good books to choose from. I am hoping to read at least eight of them, but I am listing a total of ten books just in case. In no particular order they are:
- The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
- Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
- The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
- Something by Agatha Christie (maybe The Murder of Roger Ackroyd)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Something by Dorothy Sayers (any suggestions?)
- The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
- Brighton Rock by Graham Greene
- Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos (surprisingly considered a crime novel) **Bonus Read
- The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco **Double Bonus Read (I have always imagined this a difficult book, so I am not sure I will make it through this one by the end of the summer...but it is good to set challenges for myself).
I decided not to read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky since there is a chance that Some Russian lit will be chosen next here, and I am not sure I can add another challenging book like that to a summer pile (though it is one I do plan on reading eventually). The other suggestions I have added to my book list (they all sound good, and Dope is on my list, if I can find a copy to borrow)! Perhaps tomorrow I will hit the used bookstore to see if I can find copies of the books I don't already own (see, an excuse to buy more books...).